FX Bullpups Arrive – Bobcat .22 and Indy .22

Well, they are finally here. Feels like I’ve been waiting a half a year. Oh wait – I have been waiting a half a year. :)  Now bear in mind, I have not put any lead through either gun yet. I’ll get to that this weekend. But, the anticipation for these rifles has been so significant that I had to post something. If nothing else, at least some photos.

FX Indy Hawke Sidewinder 6.5-20x

So, here is my initial reaction (pros and cons). These thoughts are subject to change, as I have only had the guns for a couple hours.

LIKED: The Trigger will BLOW YOUR MIND! It is just as good as the regular FX trigger!! That is no B.S. – a perfect, two-stage, smooth-as-butter FX trigger. This is a huge achievement, as triggers on bullpups seem to always be the Achilles heal. Brilliant engineering.

FX Bobcat and Indy trigger

FX Bobcat and Indy Trigger Mechanism

LIKED: The shroud extension was a nice touch – really quiets the gun down. Without it, the gun has a little bark.  With it on, it rivals the quietest .22′s on the market.

FX Bobcat and Indy .22

LIKED: The cheekpiece was a nice idea, but I needed to take it off to suit my shooting style (to each their own).

FX Indy Breech and Manometer

LIKED:  For all the worry about the scope rail, this thing feels solid as a rock.  It secures to the dovetail on the breech as well as a special fitting on the shroud.

FX Bobcat and Indy Scope Rail

LIKED: Balance and hold were great. Unlike most (all?) bullpups, this one has an adjustable buttplate. Dial it to your spot, and the gun pops right into place when you shoulder it.

FX Indy .22 Teds HoldOver

DISLIKED: There isn’t much I didn’t like, but there is ONE BIG THING that needs to be mentioned. The Picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock. When I saw this in the FX promo photos, I was very excited because it meant that I would not have to purchase and mount my own rail. But, my excitement turned to overwhelming disappointment when I realized that my Atlas Bipod will not mount to that rail. This is because the shallow, rounded grooves on it are not deep enough for the cross-screws of my bipod clamp to seat down in it.  The consequence to this is that the clamp rides high, and can’t actively “grab” the rail. I would prefer to have NO rail there, so then I could at least mount my own. So, that is a major bummer. It certainly hasn’t “soured” me on the gun. But, had it fit my bipod, it would have been a perfect 10 (so far).

FX Bobcat and Indy Picatinny Rail

Prices and details for US distributor Airguns of Arizona can be found here:

Bobcat:  http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Bobcat.html
Indy:  http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Indy.html

41 Responses to “FX Bullpups Arrive – Bobcat .22 and Indy .22”

1. LNielsen LNielsen says:

Great writeup Ted. I look forward to hear how these twoguns do in a more detailed review. Thanks Ted for sharing with us!

2. spdrcer says:

Thanks for the initial impressions. I can’t wait for the test phase!

3. chavelo0821 chavelo0821 says:

please try to get a good spring rifle like an hw97k,beeman r9, tx200 etc..

• Ted says:

In time I will get back to looking at another high-end springer. But, right now, my cup overfloweth. :D

• jmcgall1 jmcgall1 says:

you definitely do not seem to have a shortage of weapons to choose from. I got one broken walmart gun and saving up to build my own :)

4. olepa says:

nice guns,I too want to know about the testing…. enjoy

5. Mitchell Thomas says:

Man if that Indy is as awesome as a 400 series accuracy wise for 6 shots without repumping, and if fx costumer service is well rated…I am going to put a glass jar next to my calender and pay may way towards dreamland every paycheck. Ted, i know you have some great arrow guns already, but will you be arrow hunting with this gun too?

• Ted says:

I’m pretty sure I can fit both of these guns with the same arrow assembly that came with the Verminator MK2. So – yes. I will certainly give that a try.

6. Jumpnmcar says:

Any good review should contain a retail price Ted, I hope your full review has it mate.
    Other than that, more power to your elbow.

• Ted says:

Good call. I’ve added links to the bottom of the post. ;)

• jmcgall1 jmcgall1 says:

In Ted’s defense I see a lot of people asking about prices. Prices are subject to change and you are at a computer, google is a great place to get a current ballpark. Or just check out AOA’s website.

7. tossbag2 says:

Yes ted nice one, do you know how much they will be going for?

8. tossbag2 says:

Thanks mate!

9. tossbag2 says:

Will be interesting to see how much us Aussie’s will have to pay for them!

10. todd says:

the guy from hermans sporting seems to think about the same as the independence price wise about $2000 or just over

11. ElmerFudd says:

Ted, can you give us measurements of the Indy pump during your review (length/OD)? It appears to be a shorter version of the pump on the Independence.

• Ted says:

It looks the same to me. But, I don’t have an Independence for comparison. The handle is 19″ long from the hinge to the end of the grip.

12. jrmoreau says:

Love how they look like high-end airguns and not replicas of firearms that shoot pellets (or in this case, pellets and arrows). So excited for this review.

13. Fast and Danger says:

I have R3 .22, Lelya in .177 and Cricket .22 at the moment. Now I am thinking if I should wait to get R3M .25 again or go for regulated Bobcat in .25. Did you get the Regulated Bobcat or not?

• Ted says:

I don’t think mine is regulated. But, my Revo isn’t regulated either and you wouldn’t know it from the 75-shot 20fps spread it delivers.

14. hippy says:

So ted am I to understand based on the description on AOA website the Indy is a pump pcp?

• jmcgall1 jmcgall1 says:

There is a great video on youtube showing the FX Indy with FX owner Fredrik Axelsson
      The FX indy is at 9:30 into the video, but the whole video is pretty cool in my opinion, I just wish Mr. Doe could have found a camera from after the 1990′s to film it with.

15. hippy says:

And that the bobcat is not?

16. sharp-shinned sharp-shinned says:

So exiting! And, is that a pump? I did not know about that! Can’t wait. Good job Ted. And, the rail is a super bummer! Arrrhh. Perhaps there is a solution in the end.

17. Dylan Sanders Tanzania says:

dose the indy shoot arrows

18. Trey Trey says:

I’m absolutely drooling over the possibility of having a short, lightweight gun with an on-board pump included. I for one strictly use high pressure air pumps for my rifle. I don’t want to bother with the cost of buying expensive tanks and having to refill the Co2 all the time. If this gun proves to have good accuracy at long range and gets a decent number of shots per fill from the pump, I will be too excited to even breath. One of these two will definitely be my next rifle purchase.

• todd says:

Bobcat:

Caliber .25
      with regulator it gives 50 shots with same as power as Royale 500.

Caliber .30
      Gives 25 shots with same power as the Boss.

Indy:

Caliber.22
      1shot at 30ftp requires 3 strokes.
      2shots requires 6 strokes.
      You are able to store pressure for 6shots at same power from 220bar och it requires 18strokes to get back to 220bar.

Caliber.25
      1shot at 45-50ftp requires 5 stroke.
      You are able to store pressure for 4shots.

Caliber.30
      1shot over 75ftp requires 8 strokes.
      You are able to store pressure for 2shots.
      Can be tuned for higher power but you will only get one shot for each charge.

• Ted says:

Short? Yes.
      Pump? Yes.
      Accurate? Yes.
      Light? No. :) It weighs in at around 8.5 lbs.

19. rjmichna rjmichna says:

I look forward to your review Ted, and to receiving my Bobcat.

I can’t believe how strong the opinions about bullpups are on “The Yeller” right now! Were the opinions this strong when the Edgun or Cricket hit the market? For that matter, what about the Air Force guns?

It just seems out of proportion to me. I’m mostly a PCP guy, but I would never bash other power plants, stock designs, or color for that matter. I love the classic designs, and it’s reflected in my collection.

Springer, C02, PCP, Pumper, Rimfire, Centerfire, Slingshot, Bow, Speargun… C’mon boys we love hurling stuff down range! Enjoy and share.

- Rich in CT

• Ted says:

Yes, Rich – the Edgun had similar “flare ups” LOL. Opinions are always strong about bullpups. That is one reason why I love them so much. Anything that gets the community fired up is great in my book. It forces innovation to move faster.

20. ohioshooter ohioshooter says:

Ted will you be doing a review of these guns before you go to Europe.

• Ted says:

I’m going to give it my best shot. I’m heading to the range with my cameras after I finish replying to the questions on this post. :D

21. jmcgall1 jmcgall1 says:

The FX indy is a Fantastic idea and would be my first choice in .25 cal if I had the money. As an engineering student I highly respect what they do at FX airguns. I’ve had an idea similar to smooth twist for a while, but I think their application performs flawlessly. Again the idea of putting a hpa pump into a pcp gun isn’t that crazy, but the execution of that idea I’m sure was very difficult. Props to FX and those who recognize it’s genius.

22. SkipFish says:

I’ll see what it takes to deepen the slots next weekend. A tripod is definitely going on my copy. Skip

23. SkipFish says:

Correction, meant bipod of course.

24. tmcmellon tmcmellon says:

Ted
    The rail looks to thin in the picture to deepen the grooves
    but maybe it’s just the camera angle. For all the info I have learned about the mil dot system and all the great videos you have posted I would gladly make you a rail free of charge. It’s a pretty simple piece.

25. tmcmellon tmcmellon says:

The flat head screw fooled me! I didn’t see the rail was part of the stock.

26. SkipFish says:

Ted, Where did you get the shroud extension? My Indy did not come with one and AOA doesn’t have any …

27. SkipFish says:

I made up a few single shot adapters for the indy, let me know you want one.

Airguns of Arizona